Sunday, September 25, 2016

flute-tastic and a few reflections


This morning was made for coffee and listening to Emma Resmini. While Emma isn't yet on the Wikipedia list of child prodigies, she should be. For whatever reason, wind instruments get a stingy side glance from those that deem who is prodigious and who is not. She debuted at the age of 10 (well actually at age 7, but at age 10 back in 2010, she started getting major attention). She is now 16 and studying at the Curtis Institute (the conservatory that recruited my grandfather, who declined the opportunity in order to stay home to work and raise his family.) I have been following Emma on YouTube for nearly six years now and she has developed further. What an incredibly fine musician she is! I am posting a couple of pieces for you here. The first, above, is a beautiful piece by Ian Clarke called Hypnosis. This was recorded two years ago when Emma was 14. The other, below, is a briefer piece by a composer I really like that shows Emma's incredible technical ability. Estländler by Arvo Pärt is a piece designed for unaccompanied flute. This was recorded last year when Emma was 15. 

I started playing the flute at the age of 9 and in some ways, grew up with flute players. There really is a diva thing that goes on with many flutists who have decent abilities. I couldn't stand it, actually, as much as I loved to play. When I would go to solo competitions, I would go off by myself to stay away from the "head game" girls and the "nervous nellies." I just wanted to play, do my best, and then have some fun. I mostly succeeded. Except for the part where others would be jealous of my good marks when the scores came out. I disliked and was hurt by the jealousy the most. For whatever reason, I was consistently first flute and I just wanted to have fun and have people like me. Again, I think I mostly succeeded. Walking away from all the flute stuff mid-college was  freeing and a bit sad at the same time.

Now that I am back to playing again, I am really happy to be playing second flute. I look forward to getting back (hopefully mostly) all my technique and tone. My new flute is a joy to play. I am even doing some duets with a woman who works on my campus for an event in a couple of weeks. Having a musical outlet, for me, is a way to pause other life stresses, be in the moment, and breathe.

Off to the day. WJPP here, signing out.


1 comment:

Jack said...

Wow! Amazing.