Sunday, January 24, 2010

3 backyards

I've been meaning to do a post on the film 3 Backyards that will be featured at the upcoming Sundance Film Festival. 3 Backyards was written and directed by Eric Mendelsohn. Eric is another of the talented Mendelsohns of Long Island . . . including his brother Matt, our photographer and writer friend, sister Jennifer, a talented musician and writer in her own right, and brother Daniel, scholar and author of a number of books, including the powerful, The Lost (previously written about on this blog - see the archives).

You won't find a nicer tribute to the film than this blog post by an excited sister who is getting ready to travel out to Sundance later this week. Be sure to click on the links to the movie's web site, some reviews, and a video of an interview with Eric. Jennifer's post gives one insight into Eric's unassuming and modest personality. It also highlights what is sure to be brilliant work from an enormously talented writer and director. Read all about it and then go see this movie! I can't wait until I can. From Jennifer's post:

I'm enormously proud of Eric. I don't care if he wins a thing at Sundance. I don't care if I don't get to any celebrity-studded parties. I'm just so pleased that in a cultural climate that prizes all things flashy and commercial and anything-but-subtle, a thoughtful filmmaker like Eric can make exactly the kind of film he wants, and then find a venue like Sundance where his work can be celebrated. I'm proud that he's managed to be so uncompromising and principled as an artist, and I'm thrilled to be there supporting him.

3 comments:

nan said...

Another good review found at this link (copy and paste into your browser):
http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117941980.html?categoryid=31&cs=1&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:%20variety/headlines%20(Variety%20-%20Latest%20News)&query=3%20backyards

Paula said...

I will definitely plan to see 3 Backyards. The Mendelsohns are all so talented.

nan said...

Eric WON Best Director for a U.S. Dramatic Film!!! Check out his acceptance speech at this link at about 1:46:44!!!
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sundance-film-festival