Saturday, October 16, 2010

clorinda's stuffed peppers

My mother recently wrote down her grandmother Clorinda's recipe for stuffed peppers. She mentioned that they were best made with sweet red peppers. Three days later, Tom's friend stopped over with some beautiful, organic, red peppers. So it seemed that I should try my hand at making them since these things were falling into my hands. They were really delicious, if I do say so. I served them with some tomato sauce spooned over the top. (I made them without cheese, but I bet they would have been even better with Parmesan cheese. Unfortunately, that isn't an option for my family, and I was too lazy to make some of the stuffing with cheese for me.)

I don't know much about my great grandmother Clorinda, except that I apparently bear a strong resemblance to her. Over the years, I have learned we share other things in common, like the fact that I have always used a LOT of black pepper in my cooking and this didn't come from anywhere that we have figured out. It always makes my mother kind of wonder. . . because they are things that she remembers of her grandmother that I then remind her of.

Clorinda was born on the island of Ischia, off the coast of Naples. She later grew up with an aunt and uncle in the Naples area. She met her husband to be, Peter, when she was a teenager. He fell in love with her, later came to the U.S., and sent for her to join him here after a couple of years. She was about 20 years old. I wish I knew more of the story. I do know something of her life here, and I know she was a woman of great faith.

Clorinda's Stuffed Peppers

Ingredients
4-6 sweet peppers (red when available)
2 c. cooked arborio rice, cooled (the kind used in risotto)
salt, pepper, parsley, shredded Parmesan cheese (I used dried basil instead of parsley)
2 eggs, beaten
3 T olive oil and one sliced garlic clove
raisins (a "handful" -- I used golden raisins)

Preheat oven to 350 F
1. slice a thin top off each pepper, and reserve tops to chop up for stuffing - sans stems
2. remove the seeds from the peppers and lightly sauté the outsides of each pepper in the oil and garlic. Remove and cool. (Remove the garlic slices and reserve the oil)
3. mix the rice with the cooled oil, chopped pepper tops, eggs, spices, and raisins (stir in cheese, optional)
4. stuff each pepper with the mixture, and leave about 1/4 empty so that the mixture can "grow"
5. place peppers in a baking dish, cover loosely with foil, and roast on 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
6. reduce the oven heat to about 250 degrees, and roast for another hour or so, until peppers seem tender.

Serve with tomato sauce spooned over the top or as a side dish.


3 comments:

Ralph said...

Yum! Really want to make this, but I have a couple of questions. I know arborio takes a special technique, at least for risotto. What about this dish? Just simmer it as in regular rice at a 2 to 1 ratio?

Is that a picture of the peppers in the baking pan, laying on their sides? You don't stand them up against each other?

nan said...

Hi Ralph - I cooked the rice in my rice maker - 2:1 ratio, and I think you could as easily cook it in a pan as such. It is a sticky, starchy rice -- very bubbly. Yes, I had my peppers on their sides because I only had 4. If I had stuffed more, I would have stood them up :-) I think having the right sauce on hand to spoon over them is key also. You don't want something oniony or it will over power the subtle flavors. My marinara is made with just basil, garlic, and black pepper - simmered all day. It is quite simple - and good.

Jean Liv said...

Today I was making an apple crisp with my two grandaughters at my elbows. They wanted to peel but being 6 and 3, I was not sure I wanted them to use the peeler much. So after a brief few peels I told them about my grandma who used to peel apples for me without breaking the peel once while doing the apple. They challanged me to do it and I did. How lucky are we to have grandmothers who create memories for us to pass on and share!