Friday, January 28, 2011

wedding day

The Big Tent Poetry prompt this week was very interesting:

"This week dig up a portrait photograph – in your home, computer, or on the web – of someone you know or someone you don’t. The photo cannot be one that you took.

The strategy this week is that the you will imagine the photographer and write about the subject as if from the point of view of the photographer. Try to stay consistent with this imagined photographer’s personality (the photographer can be the real photographer, if you know who that is, or he/she can be fictional — we’re giving you lots of latitude here!). . . . If you prefer, you can use the perspective of an omniscient author. . . "


wedding day

beautiful bride of 1940 --
I am freezing this moment in time.

serenity and faith are yours forever --
as you do not let past or future define you.

I see where you've come --
from wonder and pain and hope.

I see your thoughts --
as you know you are the second wife.

I see your purity and innocence --
as you venture forward knowing he will love you, too.

You have shaken loose tragedy,
yet my lens will hold you here.

Copyright © 2011 Nan P.

15 comments:

nan said...

This is my grandmother.

Anonymous said...

You have taken the prompt and made it work for you. Bravo.

gautami tripathy said...

You made it come alive...


singular thoughts

ramona said...

Wonderful! It almost feels as though her thoughts are coming from a woman of that era.
Such a beautiful moment in time.

flaubert said...

nan, I love how the voice comes across so clearly. I love the photo.
Pamela

Tumblewords: said...

How beautiful this is! Love it.

Anonymous said...

You are a very special wedding photographer. Mostly they work on automatic pilot.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes we get through by returning to that moment in time.

http://liv2write2day.wordpress.com/2011/01/28/perfect-family-big-tent-poetry/

Anonymous said...

This is lovely, Nan. I almost feel like I know her.

Laurie Kolp said...

Intriquing poem! I love the antique photo.

~laurie

Anonymous said...

What a lovely picture of your grandmother! I enjoyed this poem and especially this line...you have shaken loose tragedy, yet my lens will hold you here...

christopher said...

Thank you, a beautiful tribute.

Linda said...

Your details bring her to life and leave the reader with so many questions. It's almost as if there's a book hidden within the poem.

mark said...

The finale brought me out of what you had drawn me into, which was perfect. This is well done and nicely realized.

Deb said...

Beautiful photo & poem. I like the acknowledgement of hardships, yet the "setting" of the bride's (& the photographer's) hope.