It is snowing again, and heartily. As I was scrolling through my Tumblr feed, I came across a photo of a pan of scalloped potatoes that inspired me to cook something this afternoon. You might ask why I subscribe to a food feed, and the answer is, I really don't know.
I follow the arty, the funny, the music, and occasionally, the creative mac and cheese. Part of the answer might lie in the fact that I live with two people who do not eat cheese. Awful, isn't it? It is for me, anyway. So when I saw the holiday end cap in the grocery store before Christmas that was showcasing the artisan cheeses, the Yancey's XXX sharp cheddar, and all, I went a little crazy and bought a few bars. Ostensibly for company. But really, we have only had a little company this season, so the rest is for me.
Today, after seeing the photo, I went on an Internet search for an easy looking scalloped potatoes recipe. I found this one on Food.com (which credits the 1971 Florence Junior Welfare League cookbook with this take on scalloped potatoes). Like my friend Joel, I decided to share not only the recipe, but a few progress photos below, and my finished product up top. Here you go:
Scalloped Potatoes
Ingredients
4 c. thinly sliced potatoes
3 T. butter
3 T. flour
1 and 1/2 c. milk
1 t. salt
1 dash cayenne pepper
1 c. grated sharp cheddar cheese plus 1/2 c. grated cheese for the top
(I added generous amounts of fresh cracked black pepper -- like I add to everything)
Directions
1. In a small sauce pan, melt butter and blend in flour
2. Let sit for a minute
3. Add the cold milk, stirring with a whisk
4. Season with salt, cayenne (and black pepper)
5. Cook sauce on low until smooth and boiling, stirring occasionally with a whisk
6. Reduce heat and stir in 1 c. cheese
7. Place half of the sliced potatoes in a lightly greased 1-qt. casserole dish
8. Pour half of cheese sauce over potatoes
9. Repeat with second layer of potatoes and cheese sauce
10. Sprinkle 1/2 c. grated cheese on top
11. Top with some paprika for color if you wish (I didn't)
12. Bake uncovered for about 1 hour at 350 degrees F






No comments:
Post a Comment