Friday, June 21, 2013

a journey, of sorts

“the ways of karma are very strange”

shining, complex, gold-threaded knot
years in the making, travels
it its gloriousness, on exhibit
in its struggles, not easily un-done

tightening, pulling, scraping
stuck
sparkling bauble adhered to a ring,
a ball on a chain
tiny crevices gathering bits of dirt
and forgetting
source and purpose

thread of life,
simple, singular, golden
fluid
yet strong –
with utility and purpose
holding together
divine tapestries

knot,
coming undone with less pulling,
gentle, strategic, loosening,
allowing curving
of stringy spinal structure
less emphasis on the gold
centering instead on
what is inside
thread

happening
in no time at all


Copyright © 2013 Nan P.


[Written for We Write Poems. The prompt was to write a protagonist poem (9th poem in a series of 10 on a protagonist on a journey -- and I have jumped into this series at poem 9 when the journey is nearly done.) How has the journey changed the protagonist? The suggestion was to be mystical. I guess my protagonist is a knot. I wrote this quickly, and it needs more work -- but it is a start, anyway. I spent some time reflecting on my choice of verb tenses . . . some gerunds, some progressive "ings" -- both choices purposeful -- and some present tense. I am not sure about these choices, but for now will stay with them.]

3 comments:

Kelly E said...

This is intriguing, Nan. I like the close-focus imagery - "tiny crevices gathering bits of dirt" and the contrast -- "fluid yet strong," "coming undone with less pulling." Lots going on here.

irene said...

Something to do with karma...intriguing.

Anonymous said...

This is lovely and I agree with Kelly love the attention to details!