Sunday, December 29, 2013

putting it off...

Instead of taking down the Christmas tree today, we decided to put it off another day. Too rainy and gray to put away those lights. I savored this morning, thinking it was one last morning of reading with my coffee by the tree, and guess what? I get to do it again tomorrow! I love staycation!! 

We are headed to a third party in a week's time this evening over in Ithaca. Should be nice. A pot of chicken barley soup is on the stove, and I have candles lit all over the house to stave off the darkness. The teenager was disappointed that his plans to snowboard today are all washed out.

I watched Salinger the other day. It was a fascinating documentary, and I am now all charged up for the 2015 releases of never before published works that he wrote in his many reclusive years in NH. After seeing the film, I re-read Nine Stories, and they are as brilliant as ever, and I felt much more informed on the sources for his material -- his life was extraordinary. He was an amazing writer, a flawed human-being as most of us are, and an interesting persona. (Did you know that Nabokov also wrote a work called Nine Stories, released in 1947, just six years before Salinger did? I didn't...)

I am not sure there will ever be another voice like his. If you have not read his Nine Stories, it is a great introduction to his work -- and bits about the Glass family, which will be featured in the soon-to-be published "new" works. Salinger's short stories are an art to write and a pleasure, if not a haunting pleasure, to read. Not sure if I will go back and re-read Catcher, Franny and Zooey, or Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters. I first read these when I was 13 or 14 and was surprised then that I "got" them. (My mother was too). The paperbacks still sit on my bookshelf... getting a bit tattered and worn looking. My appreciation for Salinger's writing has only grown since then.

The other thing I did today was listen to a lot of flute pieces that I have loved and played over the years. Here is James Galway playing an impeccable second movement of Poulenc's Flute Sonata. Wow. (Embedding was disabled, so you will need to take a look HERE.) 

See ya.

No comments: