Sunday, January 5, 2014

deep scarlet sky descending

deep scarlet sky descending
caresses the landscape
behind the spare tree line.

I am first struck by my
own expectation of nightfall--
fear paired with relief.

a bit of melancholy
might save me
after all.

© nan, 2014

[Written for The Sunday Whirl and also posted at Poets United. The words were: sky, spare, scarlet, stuck, caress, first, behind, expect, pair, bit, might and save. This poem was influenced by my feelings after watching a film based on a semi-autobiographical David Sedaris essay, entitled C.O.G., last night. I am a big David Sedaris fan. This film affected me. I wasn't ready for how I would feel.]

18 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been wanting to read some of his books. Sounds like I should stop waiting!

Sabra Bowers said...

Enjoyed your poem. I can see the spare tree line.

brudberg said...

Love the last line.. there is a contradiction of being saved by melancholy that speaks loudly to me.

brenda w said...

I'll be searching for the movie, now. I love a film with emotional impact. Strong poem in response!

Unknown said...

You do the whirl proud!

annell4 said...

I loved following your sky descending...

Brian Miller said...

really nice imagery...the mix of fear and relief...that is def real...the mixed emotions of moments...

Scarlet said...

I like the different emotional tugs at the end ~ Good one ~

Linda Jacobs said...

I like how the shape of the poem descends along with the sky!

Anonymous said...

Really liked those opening lines and all of the emotions you summoned,

Elizabeth

Mary said...

Nice work, Nan! Sometimes melancholy IS the best alternative offered.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I resonate with the relief - also the melancholy - of nightfall. One more day safely done........nothing more to do but rest and sleep. You gotta love it!

Old Egg said...

I think it is a delicious experience to commune with the dying day and to be thrust into an alien environment. Sad, mysterious and beautiful.

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Nothing wrong with a little melancholy, to reflect.

Stormcat Poetry said...

It works for me. Like singing the blues!

Sumana Roy said...

enjoyable lines....

flaubert said...

nan, a beautiful piece if writing.

Pamela

Misky said...

What an interesting write. I like it very much