Sufjan Steven's song Sister Winter (set to beautiful winter photographs) seems about right for today. It is the Epiphany. It is Christmas (in Serbia anyway). It is really, really cold. It is a serene and beautiful day/evening and it is a supremely sad day/evening. I am processing the loss of someone I knew quite well from my earlier days with yoga ... going back to when I was about 13. She died yesterday and I learned about it first thing this morning. A shining star has gone to be with the stars. She was a beautiful and smart woman, a loving mother of three great kids, a pure heart. Her eyes sparkled and she had a sweet and tinkling laugh. While I hadn't seen her in quite a few years, we reconnected on Facebook and had some conversations, the last one about a year ago. The hardest part was having to tell my mother this sad news as they were good friends also.
I am comforted by this quote that I found by Devi Ma:
Grief and sorrow are natural at certain tragic moments in life. We need to find ways to pass it through the heart as we learn to accept and live with what has happened. The heart must be allowed to breathe whatever feelings arise in it from loss. Anger, fear and grief are natural companions to loss. However we also have to be careful not to cling to them or the pain. If we brood too long we risk the heart freezing in time, shutting down and turning to debilitating despair. In time sorrow will become compassion, acceptance and forgiveness. And, we become more empathetic to the suffering of others.
The other song that has been going through my head today is this one: Sufjan Stevens' rendition of Come Thou Font of Every Blessing. Join me in listening once or twice, won't you? Play this link and really take it in. Peace out, as they say.
No comments:
Post a Comment