I am bringing a yummy slaw to the family gathering today. My sister asked me to bring a salad and I thought of this recipe. Ordinarily I am not a big fan of cole slaw made with mayo. This recipe is citrus based... and no mayo at all. So good! I didn't take the time to take great photos along the way - the way a good recipe blog will do - but I was in kind of a hurry. Isn't red cabbage beautiful?

Belizean Red Cabbage Slaw
Ingredients
1 c. orange juice (fresh is preferred)
the juice of 2 limes (fresh is best - use a rimmer to include the pulp)
1 small red onion, coarsely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
1/4 c. fresh basil leaves (I used dry - about 1 T)
4 T. chopped cilantro leaves
2 T honey
1 c. olive oil (can use canola)
salt and pepper to taste
1 head of red cabbage, finely shredded (do this by hand -- food processor not as good)
Directions
Combine all ingredients except cabbage in a blender and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to tasted. Place cabbage in a large bowl and toss with the vinaigrette. Let sit 30 min in the refrigerator before serving



2 comments:
Goes great with Belizean stewed chicken
In an odd coincidence, I was looking for a 4th of July cole slaw recipe without mayo! Thanks.
Post a Comment