I'm coming off 36 hours of pomp and circumstance having worked three undergraduate Commencement ceremonies this weekend (one Friday night and two yesterday). I had hung up my robe and hood, etc. for three years during the "job change years," but it all came back to me like second nature as I took my place among the other marshals. I really enjoy being in and around all the energy and emotion of the graduates and their families, proud faculty, staff, and alumni. Even though I work at a college that I didn't attend, I have spent many more years there than at my own alma mater, so it feels special to me to enjoy the joy of the place. The events are complex and well-done, and get pulled off with a lot of team work. It is fun to be a part of it.
The speeches were all quite good. One went on a little bit too long, and it was pretty funny to see the students try to end it early with well-timed applause not once but twice. Unfortunately the speaker thought that they were cheering her on, so she kept going. One of my good friends was honored with a Chancellor's Award, so that was fun to watch.
Meanwhile, this Story People story says quite simply what several of the speakers tried to articulate. What do we need to live a life of consequence? Courage, love, and play are behind nearly all the important things in life.
No comments:
Post a Comment