Tuesday, June 16, 2015

aspiration (and other poems)

I want to write you
a letter
that spills the contents
of my heart --

my messy, jumbled heart
where time ripples
and space disappears --

smiles and tears,
skips of raw joy,
dull, throbbing pain
collide
pulsing energy and warmth
my blood pumps through
chambers

-- the words won’t write themselves
onto the page.

© nan, 2015


[Note: So I was at a work retreat the past couple of days. Sometimes poems come to me at odd times. The good thing about being at a retreat is that while taking notes, I can jot poems into the margins. And so I did. Then I typed them up here.  They are mostly bad. But even bad, they were written, which is more than I can say for all the poems I haven't written lately.]

Here are a few more:

shrieking sentry

robin egg’s blue
on padded shoulders' jacket

the shrieking sentry
filibusters with a purpose

to stunned 
silence.

© nan, 2015


secrets are bad for you

the truth
lodged in her
throat
between her lungs and tongue

it choked her
would not let her 
breathe
a word.

© nan, 2015

save, fave, lave, crave, stave, pave, shave, cave, gave, rave

save a life
save the queen
save your money
saving face
save good linens
and bone china
save recyclables
save the evidence
saving grace

© nan, 2015


“my second cup will be decaf”

so what you know is this:
I plan to have another cup.
this first one has provided
all the excitement I need
for now
or at least has me humming
at some level
and who needs things
to get too crazy?
I don’t want those 
caffeine jitters
that might prompt me to
bolt
out of my seat
before the work retreat
is done.

© nan, 2015

1 comment:

Tom said...

let's have a second cup before the first one
caffeine free from getting work done
in our cups before we've started
listening to the course they've charted