Saturday, November 21, 2015

foiled again

I am trying not to get discouraged, but I have had a few narrow misses with The New Yorker Caption Contest over the past year or so. A couple of times, those closest to me (who are of course biased) felt that my submissions were as good or better than the three finalists chosen. After reading about claims of sexism and stereotypes - subtle and not so subtle - in The New Yorker cartoons, I can't help but notice that women are very infrequently among the finalists and it makes me wonder if the judges look at the names when they make their selections - or if they review name-blind. My name is definitely fem. Time will tell.


Anyway, here you go... my submission above, and the three that made it below (you may have to click on it to enlarge it). I will keep trying and maybe one of these days I will be asking you to please vote for me! This week's cartoon was actually out of the 1950s in terms of men's and women's roles, so I won't be entering at all unless I can think of some way to bite back. 



No comments: