Butternut Squash Soup (with a kick)
Total time - about 90 minutes
Ingredients
2 small-medium butternut squashes
2-3 T peanut oil
2 chopped onions
3 large garlic cloves (sliced)
1 t. ground cumin
1 t. salt
1 T. black pepper (coarse grind)
(1 t. Egyptian savory spice blend if you have it*)
2 T. finely minced pickled jalapeno pepper
4 c. chicken stock
1/2 c. heavy cream or coconut milk
(I used 2% milk, because it is what I had.)
Directions
-cut squashes in half lengthwise, scoop seeds
-peel and cut squash into 1-inch pieces
-in a large stock pot, heat oil over medium heat
-add onion and garlic and cook about 5 min. until they start to brown
-add carrots and spices and cook for a minute
-bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer 30 min. until veggies are tender
-remove from heat and cool 10 minutes
-puree (I use an immersion blender; you can use a blender in batches)
-return to the heat, add cream/milk, adjust seasonings
This is one good soup. I had a cup as part of a late breakfast. It would be perfect with a hearty bread or accompanying some savory meal (I am thinking spicy shrimp or sausage...or a vegetarian curry quinoa and garbanzo bean casserole.)
*I wish I could tell you what is in the Egyptian spice blend I was lucky enough to get from a friend who has a home in Egypt and goes home every summer. She gave me a bunch of amazingly aromatic spices, and one is a fine blend that I think has coriander, cumin, cinnamon, possibly cardamom, turmeric, paprika, and maybe nutmeg... it has an amazing fragrance and is none of these things by itself. I just used a pinch - so if you don't have it, just a small amount of coriander, cardamom and cinnamon is what I would recommend else it might be overpowered. You could also skip it entirely and this would still be a great soup.
P.S. We decided to try adding some corn and a rinsed can of cannellini beans to this soup to make it a more complete protein/hearty meal and it was good with the additions too!
1 comment:
Coincidentally I made a batch of BN squash soup earlier this week with a similar recipe that included apples. My CSA has about 4 more deliveries so it may not be my last. I'll have to try your version too!
Post a Comment