Sunday, May 15, 2016

sing street

The best antidote for a gray and cold one-day weekend is ignoring your other responsibilities and going to a movie and dinner. The teen went on an overnight field trip today and our 27th anniversary is coming up in two weeks. (Without realizing it, we happened to pick a weekend to get married that coincides with when Cornell holds its annual graduation - not knowing we would be living in the same vicinity after just a couple of years. Therefore, we never get to have a dinner out on our anniversary at the places we might otherwise pick due to the crowds.) We decided to celebrate a couple of weeks early.

The movie we saw was Sing Street. I really enjoyed it and recommend it. The ending isn't what I would have chosen, but it was hard to end this one. (Trailer, here.)  Anyone who has come of age during the 1980s will have some laughs. It isn't all fun though - there are some hard-hitting parts as well.

Dinner was at a favorite restaurant. Two "charred margaritas" later, some Motown music in the background, and I am ready for a week of vacation. Instead, it is back to work tomorrow. Onward.

1 comment:

Jack said...

Saw the trailer for this and thought it looked fun but yours is the first review. I'm afraid it may have been swallowed up by CGI apocalypses, another absurd re-shuffling of Marvel comic heroes, a movie based on an iPhone app or the Ninja Turtles who are the "retro" movie of the Summer (sorry Boy George!) but I'll keep an eye out for it!