Sunday, August 7, 2016

by the way, I'm still ranting on the cartoon caption contest

Some may know that I continue to enter The New Yorker cartoon caption contest. Not weekly, mind you, but often enough. Am I discouraged by the sexism? Yes. Do I wish I had made my profile name "George Elliott"? You betcha. I have had some close entries in the past, and some have said I have entered even better captions than the three finalists in the past (back when the editors were narrowing down the final three for votes). These days, The New Yorker has changed the way the finalists are chosen. They get more than 5,000 entries per week, so it doesn't surprise me they have gone to crowd-source voting.

The last contest I entered (before vacation) left me perplexed. I voted on about 50 entries (unfunny, somewhat funny, funny) without seeing my own entry before giving up for lack of time. One of the entries below was in the mix. I voted it "somewhat funny," but would have voted my own "funny." My entry, below the first, I would argue is funnier. Worthy of top three? Maybe. Because I was on vacation, I missed the voting on the top three. I don't know what they were and will find out when the winner is announced. Anyway, my disappointment continues. Will I keep trying? Probably. 




POST SCRIPT!! Just learned (Tuesday, August 9th, two days after writing this post,) that the top three captions for this contest included one that was EXACTLY the same as mine, entered by a Susan Robinson, of Willow, NY!!!! What?!? How can it be? My exact entry is in the top three, but someone else's name is underneath it in my printed copy. It is a mystery to me how these are selected. I wish I could have voted for "mine". (The other two were: "There's really nothing to it," and " If you see the cartoonist, have him drop me a line." Both are also very funny.) If you want to see what the winner ends up being, go to: http://contest.newyorker.com/ and the winner should be announced soon. I still can't believe all this happened while I was away for one week. How did I find out? Tom made my lunch today and put the following in my lunch bag as a "note." (It got a bit crunched in the lunch bag.) If I hadn't screen captured my original entry, I might not believe it. Boo hoo. 


POST POST SCRIPT.... (8/19/2016)... MY CAPTION WON! (I mean, Susan Robinson's caption won.) Arghhhhhhh.

No comments: