Saturday, November 12, 2016

the week of nothing good

I was so tired yesterday morning that I blurted out to Tom, "this has been the week of nothing good." I was referring to yet another great loss... Leonard Cohen. What Leonard Cohen song to pick? His new CD, recorded while he was very ill, in pain, and in retrospect so clearly dying, is very dark. While brilliant, I can't go there. So Sisters of Mercy? Suzanne? And of course, Hallelujah?

I decided to embed two songs below, in addition to the sneaky hyperlinks above. I really love Choir! Choir! Choir! and they did a great job with Hallelujah (along with Rufus Wainright who does a lovely rendition himself). And, I wanted to include a song about Leonard by Joni Mitchell. The two had a year-long affair and some great writing came from that time. (That Song About the Midway and The Gallery are both written about Cohen, and A Case of You - below - is largely believed to be about Cohen also.) Enjoy. Cohen's spirit will live on for a long time. 






No comments: