Saturday, March 5, 2016

a sense of place

Charles B. Wang Center, Stony Brook University
Happy Saturday! I am back from a 39 hour whirlwind trip to a one and a half day conference. Five hours down and six hours back thanks to some city traffic getting through NYC - it was well worth the time and energy. I ended up doing all the driving, and had to get some "city driving" on in parts, but all is well and I am home for what I hope is a relaxing weekend. The conference was held at Stony Brook University in a beautiful building called The Wang Center. There were several exhibitions going in the gallery spaces, and there were interesting and beautiful indoor fountains throughout the building. I love water fountains! It was a great setting for a conference of just a couple hundred people. And the food was good, to boot.

Why did I title this post "a sense of place?" I think it is because I really liked the center where the conference was housed. Asian art abounded from several different cultures and times. The sound of water flowing, the light, the design . . . was expansive. It was a perfect place to think and learn. I also feel a sense of place being home after a relatively long drive in a short space of time. Think about sense of place. It is both grounding and freeing at the same time. Cheers.

No comments: